For most of us, we undergo orthodontic treatment solely for the purpose of having the straight, white smile we’ve always dreamed of. Despite this being an obvious upside to treatment, there are many other physical health benefits. Here’s the top ten, non-cosmetic reasons for visiting your orthodontist:
- To keep teeth from erupting in the wrong position. When your child receives their routine dental x-ray, you’ll be able to know if their teeth are likely to erupt where they should. If wayward teeth are headed in the wrong direction, your child can receive early orthodontic treatment to guide teeth to their proper positioning before they cause a problem.
- To correct crowding. Even minor crowding issues can cause problems with oral hygiene and bite alignment, fixing this results in healthier teeth and more comfortable bite.
- To protect teeth and gums. A misaligned bite can cause teeth, fillings, and crowns to break or become damaged. This can lead to pain and unhealthy gums.
- To correct an overbite, underbite, or crossbite. Misaligned bites can cause issues with speech, biting, and chewing. A big part of orthodontic treatment is to align the bite so the top and bottom teeth fit together, this is known as occlusion.
- To prevent jaw pain. Misaligned bites cause your jaw muscles to work harder than they should, which can cause issues such as headaches, lock jaw, muscle spasms, fatigue, or sinus pain.
- To avoid breathing or swallowing problems. A misaligned mouth can cause snoring and more serious sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea.
- To correct over-spacing. Over-spacing issues from injuries, small teeth, tooth decay, or natural spacing issues can be corrected with treatment.
- To correct the effects of finger or thumb sucking. These habits from a young age cause issues for bite alignment and the proper positioning of teeth.
- To prevent heart disease. Poor oral hygiene can cause tartar buildup in the gums which leads to the growth of harmful bacteria that can enter the bloodstream and contribute to cardiovascular disease.
- To prevent tooth decay. Misaligned teeth can make it difficult to clean every area of your mouth, leaving many spots susceptible to decay.
As you can see, there’s a ton of benefits to choosing orthodontic treatment. Whether it’s early treatment for your kids, traditional treatment for the teens, or adult treatment for you, it’s never too late for a healthier smile. Give us a call to schedule your appointment today, you’ll be happy you did!