June 20, 2016
You’ve probably heard plenty of times that straight teeth are healthy teeth. Not only does having straight teeth project friendliness and boost confidence, but a straight smile actually has many more benefits beyond just the cosmetic pluses. There’s no doubting that a straighter smile can improve your personal and professional life.
December 2, 2015
A large aspect of orthodontic treatment is aligning and positioning your jaw for better functionality and aesthetics. In some cases traditional braces are unable to effectively treat misaligned jaws, in which case orthognathic surgery may be the best option. Surgery can improve the aesthetics of your jawline and also increase your overall jaw function to decrease pain.
The treatment process begins by establishing the benefits of surgical correction through computerized imaging. Surgery, and the following treatment, will be determined prior to the day of your surgery. Once your jaw is realigned, small screws and titanium plates are used to stabilize and strengthen your jaw. Orthognathic surgery has come a long way and thanks to the technological advancements most patients are able to return to their normal activities fairly quickly.
A healthy smile includes straight teeth and an aligned jaw. At Ortega Orthodontics, we’re here to ensure that your teeth and jaw are just where they should be. By repositioning your jaw, you’ll find that your bite fits more comfortably, which will increase the functionality of your teeth and improve the overall look of your smile. As your Jacksonville orthodontist, we will be able to determine the best course of treatment to help you achieve your perfect smile. Schedule your appointment today!
November 11, 2015
As your Jacksonville orthodontist, we love to see you show off your smile. Whether you’re still in treatment for your dream smile or just got your braces off, there’s plenty of reasons to be happy about straight teeth and a healthy mouth. You’ve probably heard that laughter is the best medicine, but did you know that smiling can actually boost your mood and health? Here’s 12 reasons why you should be showing off those pearly whites all the time:
- Scientists have found that even if you’re in a bad mood, forcing yourself to smile can help lift your spirits.
- Studies have shown that it’s nearly impossible to frown while looking at someone who is smiling, it really is contagious!
- Your body has to work harder to frown than it does to smile.
- Babies are born with the ability to smile, if they can, anyone can!
- People can see smiles from 300 feet away, it’s the easiest facial expression to recognize.
- Research studies have shown that people find women more attractive when they’re smiling than when they’re wearing makeup.
- Smiling makes you more relaxed, thus improving your immune system and overall health.
- Smiling releases endorphins that help you reduce stress and feel better.
- Around the world smiling is a universal sign of happiness.
- Smiling can use anywhere from 5 to 53 muscles.
- Need a promotion? Smiling makes people appear more sociable, attractive, confident, and more likely to get promoted.
- Researchers say there are 19 different types of smiles, so there’s plenty to choose from!
Orthodontic treatment isn’t just for kids! Healthy teeth can be moved at any age, so it’s never too late to improve your smile. If your teeth are holding you back from a confident smile, give us a call to find a treatment plan that works for you. At Ortega Orthodontics, we love to see our patients showing off their pearly whites.
October 21, 2015
For most of us, we undergo orthodontic treatment solely for the purpose of having the straight, white smile we’ve always dreamed of. Despite this being an obvious upside to treatment, there are many other physical health benefits. Here’s the top ten, non-cosmetic reasons for visiting your orthodontist:
- To keep teeth from erupting in the wrong position. When your child receives their routine dental x-ray, you’ll be able to know if their teeth are likely to erupt where they should. If wayward teeth are headed in the wrong direction, your child can receive early orthodontic treatment to guide teeth to their proper positioning before they cause a problem.
- To correct crowding. Even minor crowding issues can cause problems with oral hygiene and bite alignment, fixing this results in healthier teeth and more comfortable bite.
- To protect teeth and gums. A misaligned bite can cause teeth, fillings, and crowns to break or become damaged. This can lead to pain and unhealthy gums.
- To correct an overbite, underbite, or crossbite. Misaligned bites can cause issues with speech, biting, and chewing. A big part of orthodontic treatment is to align the bite so the top and bottom teeth fit together, this is known as occlusion.
- To prevent jaw pain. Misaligned bites cause your jaw muscles to work harder than they should, which can cause issues such as headaches, lock jaw, muscle spasms, fatigue, or sinus pain.
- To avoid breathing or swallowing problems. A misaligned mouth can cause snoring and more serious sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea.
- To correct over-spacing. Over-spacing issues from injuries, small teeth, tooth decay, or natural spacing issues can be corrected with treatment.
- To correct the effects of finger or thumb sucking. These habits from a young age cause issues for bite alignment and the proper positioning of teeth.
- To prevent heart disease. Poor oral hygiene can cause tartar buildup in the gums which leads to the growth of harmful bacteria that can enter the bloodstream and contribute to cardiovascular disease.
- To prevent tooth decay. Misaligned teeth can make it difficult to clean every area of your mouth, leaving many spots susceptible to decay.
As you can see, there’s a ton of benefits to choosing orthodontic treatment. Whether it’s early treatment for your kids, traditional treatment for the teens, or adult treatment for you, it’s never too late for a healthier smile. Give us a call to schedule your appointment today, you’ll be happy you did!
September 9, 2015
With the new school year underway, what better time to learn your orthodontic ABC’s? As your Jacksonville orthodontist, we want to make sure you know everything you need to be prepared for your orthodontic treatment, so study up!
A is for Age
Early orthodontic treatment can have a significant impact on establishing the proper foundation to assist with growth and development. By age seven, the permanent teeth begin to surface and we can check for problems related to jaw growth, cross bites, and the eruption of adult teeth. With our no-charge early examinations, we can establish the best time to start orthodontic treatment for your child. But, if you think that braces are just for the kids, think again! Healthy teeth can be moved at any age, it’s never too late to tweak your smile.
B is for Braces
Traditional braces consist of metal wires and brackets and are so popular because of their affordability and effectiveness. But did you realize the amount of options available for achieving your perfect smile? Here at Ortega Orthodontics we offer clear braces, Invisalign, Lingual braces, orthognathic surgery, and retention options so that we can find the treatment plan that is just right for you.
C is for Cost
Orthodontics is one of the best investments you can make in the overall dental, medical, and psychological well being of children and adults. We believe that financial considerations should not be holding you back from a more confident you, which is why we’re happy to offer flexible payment options for our patients.
If you need further review of your orthodontic ABC’s, feel free to give us a call or schedule an appointment. And, to all of our patients back to school, we hope you have a great year!
August 5, 2015
Just when you may be tired of wearing your braces, science says they make you smarter, more social, and better looking. Well, that’s not exactly how it works, but according to a study published in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, your bite does affect how others perceive your attractiveness, intelligence, and personality.
The study collected survey data from 889 patients ranging from different ages and genders who rated photos of people with six different types of occlusion or malocclusions (or types of bite in layman’s terms). Those with a normal bite were rated as more attractive, intelligent, agreeable, and extraverted, versus those with an underbite who received more negative ratings in each category.
A normal bite was rated most positively and issues such as underbites, crowding, overbites resulted in patients being perceived as less attractive, intelligent, and socially competent. At Ortego Orthodontics, we want you to put your best foot forward! We specialize in healthy smiles and healthy bites here in Jacksonville so that you’re always looking your best. Give us a call today so we can find a treatment option that’s just right for you.
January 7, 2015
At Ortega Orthodontics we are looking forward to a wonderful year of creating healthy smiles and happy patients. If you’ve considered seeking orthodontic treatment in the past, there’s no better time than the present.
Do you experience difficulty chewing or discomfort when talking or eating? Do you find yourself hiding your smile because of crowded or crooked teeth? Do you want to improve your appearance and boost your confidence? With the help of your Jacksonville orthodontist, you can! Make 2015 the year that you take the first step towards achieving a healthier smile. It’s never too late to restore your confidence and get back to smiling in your day-to-day life. You won’t believe what you’ve been missing!
If you’re interested in receiving state-of-the-art orthodontic treatment right here in Jacksonville, look no further than your Ortega Orthodontics. As your Jacksonville orthodontist we look forward to giving you the smile of a lifetime during the year of 2015.
September 10, 2014
At Ortega Orthodontics we know that a straight smile is a healthy smile. If you have been considering seeking orthodontic treatment but haven’t been able to justify straightening your teeth for aesthetic purposes—then think again. As your resource for braces in Jacksonville, we can help you understand the benefits of investing in a healthy smile.
The results of orthodontic treatment will not only improve the aesthetics of your smile and boost your confidence level, but it will also benefit the condition of your overall oral health. Orthodontic treatment can straighten crowded teeth and allow more effective cleaning. It can also help improve your bite, which will help ensure a lifetime of healthy teeth.
As your resource for orthodontics in Jacksonville, Florida we look forward to improving your smile. When your smile looks good you not only feel good but your mouth is healthier too. Contact our office today to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Holland or Dr. Schellhase.